Game Based Learning (GBL) Faculty Interest Group (FIG) – Notes from Meeting
Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019, 12:40pm, M391
Grace Axler-DiPerte, Facilitator
Participants: Grace Axler-DiPerte (BIO), Daniel Kane(TAT) , Beth Mulligan (BIO),
Mary Ortiz (BIO), Michael Ortiz (BEH)
Meeting began at 12:40pm.
- Grace welcomed everyone.
- Beth shared ZOOBs (Zoology, Ontology, Ornithology, Botany) with the group. She had used them to make DNA molecules. Now she is using them to have students make protein models. Beth ordered the ZOOBs from Alex Toys. You can get bins of 500 inexpensively. Beth led us all in making proteins. Each of us got a bag of ZOOBs. We each made a protein with 10 red pieces in the middle of the chain. The ZOOBs are used to show primary, secondary and tertiary protein structure and denaturing. Beth demonstrated how this is done. Much discussion and sharing occurred. Beth mentioned she wished the ZOOBs came in more colors. She mentioned maybe marking them with tape to create more varieties. Mary will bring in thin, colored, electrical tape for her to try this.
- Daniel spoke about an airport operations simulation game that integrates fun applied to learning. We also spoke about Jeopardy Labs.com.
- Grace provided a short history of how our group got started.
- Grace spoke about Taleblazer (from MIT Labs), a free app where you can create games.
- We discussed using chips for ATP molecules. We could also use trivia questions to earn ATP.
- We discussed prizes – pens, erasers, etc. These can be purchased inexpensively.
- We all Googled ZOOB Toy.
- Grace mentioned that Michael’s gives educator discounts.
- Daniel shared The Game Crafter and Ali Express for ordering chips, toys, etc. They are very inexpensive, but may take 4-5 weeks for delivery.
- Michael discussed Pictionary and shared categories for the natural and social sciences. We discussed having students categorize the cards. Students can also make/design cards.
- We discussed fears of students when they don’t recognize or know what they have to do with game materials.
- At our next meeting Daniel will show us Mind Map and Brain Writing. We may use big post-its.
- Next meeting: A Wed in Oct, 12:40am, M391 (hopefully). Grace will send out a notice.
Meeting ended at 1:40pm.
Notes respectfully submitted by Mary Theresa Ortiz