Kingsborough Community College
The City University of New York
Department of Biological Sciences
Game Based Learning (GBL) Faculty Interest Group (FIG) – Notes from Meeting
Wednesday, May 8, 2019, 11:30am, M391
Grace Axler-DiPerte, Facilitator
Participants: Grace Axler-DiPerte, Loretta Brancaccio-Taras, Jocelyn Figueroa, Mary Ortiz
Meeting began at 11:30am.
- Grace welcomed everyone.
- Mary spoke about the card game she did in Biostatistics as a result of input from the last meeting.
- Grace spoke about a carbon cycle game. She also said that she needs ideas for an industrial micro game. For food micro she will “build a food” and use photos.
- Jocelyn spoke of a D&D-like project she has done with 5th graders where they come together to solve problems to get through a dungeon. They also play a game where they create scenes/scenarios for the rest of the class to do a quest (story).
- We discussed word problems.
- Loretta explained that she will be teaching BIO1 on-line in the fall, and asked for input/ideas for activities for the students to do on-line. Ideas were discussed regarding nutrition, the carbon cycle, and who can make the healthiest taco.
- Grace spoke about Taleblazer.
- Jocelyn spoke about and suggested Discord Bots, where you can create bots/games.
- Grace brought “Snake Oil” for us to play. We played a few rounds and discussed how we can adapt the game for our subject areas.
- Next meeting: May 29, 2019, 11:30am, M391 (hopefully). Grace will send out a notice.
- Meeting ended at 12:40pm.
Notes respectfully submitted by Mary Theresa Ortiz