Game Based Learning (GBL) Faculty Interest Group (FIG) – Notes from Meeting One
Wednesday, Mar 24, 2021, 1:40pm via Zoom
Grace Axler-DiPerte, Facilitator
Participants: Grace Axler-DiPerte (KCC BIO), Joe Bisz (BMCC ENG), Christina Colon (KCC BIO), Amy Haas (KCC ENG), Lorraine LaPrade (KCC LIBR), Tom Lavazzi (KCC), Alex Mulligan (KCC BIO), Kathleen Offenholly (BMCC MAT), Mary Ortiz (KCC BIO),Michael Ortiz (KCC BEH)
Meeting began at 1:50pm.
- Grace welcomed everyone.
- Joe discussed having an event every two months; rapid ideas (variation on “What’s Your Game Plan?”). There will be an event next month on a theme. Grace will put in a plug to the GBL group.
- Grace shared experiences at the 2021 Gaming Conference.
- Grace shared flippity.net . It has a Randomizer. Grace walked us through this showed us how it works with a demo. She also showed us a Randomizer she created for General Microbiology on bacterial growth and selective and differential media. You create and can give students the link to spin the wheel. It is not hard to use. It has a template that is easy to edit for customization. This is free. It has templates. There is also a Flashcards feature (like the quiz show Jeopardy). The Randomizer requires you to File, Publish to the Web, then Publish (must do this to get the link), then Get the Link to give to students. Grace also demonstrated Manipulations in flippity. This is nice because it is open ended, and you can change the background. Students find it fun and engaging. Amy shared how she could use this in Accounting. Alex shared the possibility of using flippity for diseases in Microbiology with symptoms, drugs, etc. Tom said we could use it for Concept Values in Marketing. Grace mentioned there is a Memory Game on flippity that could be used for review. Much discussion followed with Q&A.
- Grace mentioned canva.com . It helps you design with a color palette and fonts.
- Grace shared Google Jam Board with background, sticky notes and how to share it. She recommended making copies for students.
- Alex had an idea to have students design a flier about a disease because many have stated they want to go into public health. Grace shared there are templates for pamphlets. Students can use a template to create pamphlets so they can concentrate on the content. They can download the file as a PDF or JPEG.
- Christina shared that she plans to have the student do role playing in Ecology.
- We discussed trying one new thing each semester to see if it works or not.
- Alex discussed a “1000 point” grading system. It makes the whole class a game.
- We discussed how to manipulate the Grade Center in BlackBoard (ex. hiding the weighted total).
- At the next meeting Grace will share how to create an Escape Room.
- Grace will send out the beginning of semester survey. Please fill it out and return.
- Next meeting will be Wed, 4/28/2021 at 1:50pm on Zoom. Grace will set out log in info.
- Meeting ended at 2:58pm.
Notes respectfully submitted by Mary Theresa Ortiz, KCC Bio