Game Based Learning (GBL) Faculty Interest Group (FIG) – Notes from Meeting Two
Wednesday, Oct 20, 2021, 1:50pm via Zoom
Grace Axler-DiPerte, Facilitator
Participants: Grace Axler-DiPerte (KCC BIO), Amy Haas (KCC BUS), Tyronne Johnson (KCC),
Olga Kagan (SPS Nursing), Tom Lavazzi (KCC ENG), Mary Ortiz (KCC BIO)
Meeting began at 1:50pm.
- Grace welcomed everyone.
- Grace mentioned “inky”, which has a coding language with Unity. They have an editing software to create games. You can use it to skeleton a game. More on this later.
- Olga discussed her game where you look at ingredients to see if the food is safe. She discussed food allergens/components and cross-references. The premise for the game is to teach people how to read food labels because there is a great deal of misinformation out there. It is important to learn/know about ingredients (ex. sesame in tahini, anchovies in Caesar dressing).
- Amy shared Mind Mapping. She used Flippity to develop two games for her students. Her class is in teams. Amy explained how she set it up in Flippity and showed us her game where students must place steps in an accounting cycle in the correct order. Each team must submit it. The website for Flippity is: Flippity.net. We mentioned this could be used to do something with the Krebs Cycle. Grace may try this next semester in General Microbiology with the Krebs Cycle. When using Flippity, you must remember to publish it (File, Publish to web).
- Amy showed us her second game (puzzle) using classification of accounting terms on a page with columns. We discussed this.
- Grace shared a Mind Map Template in Mural. The URL is:
She showed us how to use it. There is a tutorial. She is working on this for skin and eye diseases for Microbiology. The template is large, but the print is tiny.
She Googled mind mapping to find it. Grace demoed setting it up and using it. You can use shapes, arrows, etc. Discussion followed. You can set it up based on categories (ex. bacterial, viral).
- Olga tried Kahoot with her children. It would be hard to do in Nursing because the curriculum does not give much leeway.
- Tyronne has used Kahoot for review with his students. He got the upgraded version to make his own slides. He likes Flippity and Mural over Blackboard Collaborate. Amy shared that you could use a Word document instead of the blackboard white board. Grace purchased an inexpensive document camera from Amazon that she uses as a blackboard.
- Amy mentioned using Poll Anywhere.
- Grace mentioned Questions.
- Grace shared that she assigns Kahoots as homework. The students get extra points if they beat her score. They may do it 3-4 times to beat her, but they are actually studying. This can be a challenge in an asynchronous environment.
- Amy wants to try an escape room. This can be done via Google Slides in Google Drive. She showed her Library example and how she set it up (ex. background elements, add sections, add questions). There is opportunity to give students feedback on wrong answers. Students get a “key” (ex. carrot) to get out of the room.
- Grace demoed her Virtual Gram Stain Lab.
- Grace shared that if you only want to use text, you can use “ink”. She showed us this. “ink” is a language. It is text-based. There is a YouTube video by hoverboard that gives a tutorial on how to use “ink”. They have a demo on WWII you can look at. You can download the editor for free. You can upload what you do to other places. The editor is “inky”.
- Tyronne asked Grace to show us her Virtual Gram Stain Lab. Grace shared it with us. https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1vlvf3-r782HvxWKr0w-2DybBnNFk0oU1GYLJxPVnvoE/preview
Discussion followed. Grace gives the students the preview. You change the slide ID to preview so the students cannot change what you give them. Grace will send the link.
- At the next meeting Grace will do more on ink, escape rooms, Google Forms, and Questions. Also, for the next meeting, let Grace know what you want and come to share what you tried.
- The next (third and last for the Fall 2021 semester) meeting will be on Wed, 11/17/2021 at 1:50pm via Zoom. Grace will get the meeting info out to us.
Meeting ended at 2:54 pm.
Notes respectfully submitted by Mary Theresa Ortiz, KCC Bio