Game Based Learning (GBL) Faculty Interest Group (FIG) – Notes from Third Meeting
Thursday, May 25, 2017, 12:40pm, M378
Grace Axler-DiPerte, Facilitator
Participants: Grace Axler-DiPerte, Loretta Brancaccio-Taras, Mary Ortiz, Shoshana Marcus
- We will continue this FIG on GBL in the Fall (2017).
- In the Fall we will take a different game format (ex. cards, boards, etc.) at each meeting and see how it can be adapted to each subject area.
- Loretta suggested providing the topic for each meeting; people are more inclined to come when they know the topic.
- Grace tried the game she and Mary created in her BIO51 class.
- The best 2 of 3 rounds won.
- Grace realized the sheet should be made larger.
- Grace asked students if the game was fun; if it was a good way to review. They said it was for both.
- Grace gave out pens as prizes (shaped like bones for BIO11 and Shaped like syringes for BIO51, respectively) as opposed to giving points so that there wouldn’t be unwarranted feelings about not getting points.
- There are many articles on using smart games.
- Shoshana said a friend of hers from Brooklyn College had a review article on serious games. She was going to look into getting it for us.
- Loretta tried a game in BIO50 on the topic of Fungi classification.
- Loretta gave out mechanical pencils as prizes to the winners.
- Loretta gave the students a completed sheet to study from when they were done.
- Loretta reported the students were too busy collecting cards to take notes.
- Grace mentioned a card game where students trade cards and talk using a work sheet.
- Mary said she might try something like this in Biostatistics next year.
- Grace: during summer 2017 she plans to play with Goose Chase and Taleblazer.
- Our next meeting will be in Fall 2017. Grace will send out a Doodle to determine availability.
- Meeting ended at 1:25pm.
Notes respectfully submitted by Mary Theresa Ortiz